CRJS 345 Individual Project #5 | Get Quick Solution
I’m studying for my Political Science class and don’t understand how to answer this. Can you help me study?
“Most police officers draw the line between accepting gratuities and taking bribes, but accepting gratuities can still influence how much time police do or don’t spend at certain establishments” (Feldberg, 1985).
In this unit, you will be exposed to the complexities of ethical issues in criminal justice. Criminal justice managers must set the example for integrity, as well as create policies and guidelines on what officers may or may not do. Criminal justice management may also involve interviewing officers to ascertain if their behavior is ethical and in compliance with established agency polices. For example, if an officer’s behavior is unethical but not prohibited, then it is time to write a policy that prohibits it in the future.
You will also be exposed to budgetary issues and financial constraints. Budgetary issues can include deciding whether or not to buy new equipment or hire a new officer, but not both. Equipment needs must be balanced with HR needs, and sometimes a budget will dictate that you must choose one over the other. In that scenario, criminal justice managers must determine which financial choices will be most effective for overall public safety.
When you are done with this unit, you will be able to discuss the following:
- Gratuities in criminal justice
- Decision making and ethical choices
- Disciplinary policies and practices
- Budgetary considerations in a public service agency
- Balancing financial constraints with new equipment or HR requirements
Feldberg, M. (1985). Moral issues in police work. Totowa, NJ: Rowman and Allanheld.
For this assignment, you will interview a law enforcement officer regarding his or her views about accepting gratuities.
During the interview with the officer, you will discuss the following topics related to gratuities:
- Determine from the officer the department’s official policy related to gratuities, and relate how strictly that policy is enforced.
- Discuss any unofficial code regarding gratuities.
- Does the officer feel that he or she should be allowed to accept small gratuities, such as free or discounted meals or coffee?
In a 4–6-page paper, explore and report on the following questions:
- Provide a detailed description of the interview with the police officer regarding acceptance of gratuities in their department.
- Discuss in detail 2 basic arguments against the acceptance of gratuities.
- Do you believe, based upon your reading of the topic of gratuities and your interview of the police officer, that gratuities lead to more serious breaches of ethics in law enforcement? Provide support for your assessment.
Be sure to reference all sources using APA style.