Im trying to learn for my English class and Im stuck. Can you help?
Part I: Write a brief (approximately 200 words) response to three questions of your own choosing. Feel free to include your own personal experiences/ reflections in your answers.
Part 2: Respond to a comment or question posted by another classmate. Please mention them by name in your response.
OR– You may post two additional discussion questions for your classmates. Ideally, these questions will build off of your response in Part I.
- Arthur Schlesinger Jr. critiques immigrants desire to cling to their former cultures rather than assimilating and forging a new American culture. What do you think a new American culture looks like? Is there really anything new about it if immigrants dont bring in aspects of their old cultures?
- To what extent is America still a Christian nation? For the first time in history, the most recent presidential debates did not discuss the candidates faith or religion- but many would argue that is a very small step forward. Additionally, can the United States be considered a secular nation if we ban people of certain faiths from entering the country?
- The article mentions how Chinese migrant workers were mostly single men who came to the US to make money (prior to the Chinese Exclusion Act of 1882), but did not intend to make lives for themselves in America. Was this practice unique to Chinese migrant workers?
- The Chinese Exclusion Act deemed that Chinese immigrants were incapable of assimilating into American culture, and they were a perpetual, unchanging, and unchangeable alien element that can never become homogenous; that their civilization is demoralizing and degrading to our people; that they degrade and dishonor labor; and they can never become citizens. Does this rhetoric remind you of the language used to describe other immigrant groups today?
- Are there some American principles that you believe should be required beliefs for all citizens? What might some of these be?
- Schlesinger Jr. states that, the fear of the Other is among the most instinctive human reactions. He argues that multiculturalists are making things worse by not pushing for a form of commonality, and multiculturalists responded that the solution is not commonality, but respect for different cultural traditions. This article was published in October 2015- considering everything that has happened in the last three years, do you agree with either of these solutions?
We've got everything to become your favourite writing service
Money back guarantee
Your money is safe. Even if we fail to satisfy your expectations on your paper, our money back guarantee allows you to request a refund.
We don’t our clients private information with anyone. What happens on our website remains confidential.
Our service is legit
We always keep our word and follow every instruction on order, and this kind of academic assistance is perfectly legitimate.
Get a plagiarism-free paper
We check every paper for plagiarism before submission, so you get a unique paper written for your particular purposes.
We can help with urgent tasks
Need a paper tomorrow? We can write it even while you’re sleeping. Place an order now and get your paper in 4 hours.
Pay a fair price
Our prices depend on urgency of your paper. If you want a cheap essay, place your order in advance. Our prices start from $11 per page.