Please select one process addiction to present for discussion
I dont understand this Sociology question and need help to study.
Please select one process addiction to present for discussion. Then, complete research via scholarly journal articles in the library, clinical books, or through online searches of reputable websites on counseling interventions or techniques that could be used to help treat clients struggling with your chosen process addiction. Select one therapy modality, technique, intervention, strategy, method, etc. and describe its background, assess its merits/efficacy/outcomes, and explain the overall implementation of the technique in a treatment session. Be creative in your selection and illustrate how you might use this particular technique in your clinical work with clients who may present with this specific process addiction. What are your personal/professional impressions of this treatment program/intervention? Provide 1-2 website links to relevant literature or articles about your chosen intervention for your peers to read more about. Be sure to avoid duplication of other peers technique selections so that we can have a diverse compilation of options to examine. 400 Words APA format.
In Week 6, we will examine the interactions between substance use and mental health disorders, assessment, diagnosis and treatment considerations for individuals with co-occurring disorders. We will also explore the importance of relapse prevention and approaches in working with clients to sustain their recovery.
People with mental health disorders are more likely than people without mental health disorders to experience an alcohol or substance use disorder. Co-occurring disorders can be difficult to diagnose due to the complexity of symptoms. In many cases, people receive treatment for one disorder while the other disorder remains untreated. This may occur because both mental and substance use disorders can have biological, psychological, and social components. Other reasons may be inadequate provider training or screening, an overlap of symptoms, or that other health issues need to be addressed first. In any case, the consequences of undiagnosed, untreated, or undertreated co-occurring disorders can lead to a higher likelihood of experiencing homelessness, incarceration, medical illnesses, suicide, or even early death (SAMHSA website).
People with co-occurring disorders are best served through integrated treatment. With integrated treatment, practitioners can address mental and substance use disorders at the same time, often lowering costs and creating better outcomes. Increasing awareness and building capacity in service systems are important in helping identify and treat co-occurring disorders. Early detection and treatment can improve treatment outcomes and the quality of life for those who need these services (SAMHSA website).
- Textbooks: Wormer, K. & Davis, D. (2018). Addiction treatment: a strengths perspective. Boston, MA: Cengage Learning. ISBN-13: 978-1305943308 Sheff, D. (2013). Clean: overcoming addiction and ending Americas greatest tragedy. Boston: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. ISBN: 978-0547848655
- SAMHSA TIP 42 Substance Abuse Treatment For Persons With Co-Occurring Disorders, Executive Summary and Chapters 1-5.
- Brewer, J. A., Bowen, S., Smith, J. T., Marlatt, G. A., & Potenza, M. N. (2010). Mindfulness-based treatments for co-occurring depression and substance use disorders: What can we learn from the brain? Addiction, 105(10), 1698-1706.
- McCauley, J. L., Killeen, T., Gros, D. F., Brady, K. T., & Back, S. E. (2012). Posttraumatic stress disorder and Co?Occurring substance use disorders: Advances in assessment and treatment. Clinical Psychology: Science and Practice, 19(3), 283-304.
- NCTSN: Understanding Links Between Adolescent Trauma and Substance Abuse
- Melemis, S. M. (2015). Relapse prevention and the five rules of recovery. The Yale Journal of Biology and Medicine, 88(3), 325-332.
- NIH website: Bowen, S., Witkiewitz, K., Clifasefi, S. L., Grow, J., Chawla, N., Hsu, S. H., Larimer, M. E. (2014). Relative Efficacy of Mindfulness-Based Relapse Prevention, Standard Relapse Prevention, and Treatment as Usual for Substance Use Disorders: A Randomized Clinical Trial. JAMA Psychiatry, 71(5), 547556.
- Psychiatry online: Barbara E. Havassy, Ph.D., Jennifer Alvidrez, Ph.D., Amy A. Mericle, Ph.D. (2009). Disparities in use of mental health and substance abuse services by persons with co-occurring disorders.
- Karim, R., & Chaudhri, P. (2012). Behavioral addictions: An overview. Journal of Psychoactive Drugs, 44(1), 5-17. doi:10.1080/02791072.2012.662859
- Giugliano, J. (2006). Out of control sexual behavior: a qualitative investigation. Sexual Addiction & Compulsivity, 13(4), 361-375.
- Young, K. (2009). Understanding online gaming addiction and treatment issues for adolescents. The American Journal of Family Therapy, 37(5), 355-372.
- Clark, L., Averbeck, B., Payer, D., Sescousse, G., Winstanley, C., & Xue, G. (2013). Pathological choice: the neuroscience of gambling and gambling addiction. The Journal of Neuroscience, 33(45), 17617-17623.
- Trauma and Substance Abuse I: Therapeutic Approaches, Time: 46:09
- Trauma and Substance Abuse II: Special Issues, Time: 41:03
- Common Co-Occurring Issues. Episode 185 of the Counselor Toolbox podcast with Dr. Dawn-Elise Snipes, Time: (59:25 min).
- Optional Special Series Counseling People with Co-Occurring Disorders: SAMSHA Tip 42, Parts 1-9 (Episodes 296-303) of the Counselor Toolbox podcast with Dr. Dawn-Elise Snipes, Time: (approx. 1hr each).
We've got everything to become your favourite writing service
Money back guarantee
Your money is safe. Even if we fail to satisfy your expectations on your paper, our money back guarantee allows you to request a refund.
We don’t our clients private information with anyone. What happens on our website remains confidential.
Our service is legit
We always keep our word and follow every instruction on order, and this kind of academic assistance is perfectly legitimate.
Get a plagiarism-free paper
We check every paper for plagiarism before submission, so you get a unique paper written for your particular purposes.
We can help with urgent tasks
Need a paper tomorrow? We can write it even while you’re sleeping. Place an order now and get your paper in 4 hours.
Pay a fair price
Our prices depend on urgency of your paper. If you want a cheap essay, place your order in advance. Our prices start from $11 per page.