Written Self Critique – cardboard sphere | Get Quick Solution
I don’t know how to handle this Art & Design question and need guidance.
A critique is an oral or written discussion strategy used to analyze, describe, and interpret works of art. Critiques help students hone their persuasive oral and writing, information-gathering, and justification skills.
Write a one page maximum critique of your recently finished project using the below sample set of focus questions for the written self critique of your assignment project. There are four major areas of art criticism: description, analysis, interpretation, judgment.
Begin the document with your name, project name, and a title of the work (if given).
Describe the work without using value words such as “beautiful” or “ugly”:
- What is the written description on the label or in the program about the work?
- What is the title and who is (are) the artist(s)?
- When and where was the work created?
- Describe the elements of the work (i.e., line movement, light, space).
- Describe the technical qualities of the work (i.e., tools, materials, instruments).
- Describe the subject matter. What is it all about? Are there recognizable images?
Describe how the work is organized as a complete composition:
- How is the work constructed or planned (i.e., materials, techniques, processes)?
- Identify some of the similarities throughout the work (i.e., repetition of line, pattern, shape).
- Identify some of the points of emphasis in the work (i.e., focal point, movement, favorite part).
- If the work has subjects or characters, what are the relationships between or among them?
- How skillfully has the work been executed?
Describe how your work makes you think or feel:
- Describe the expressive qualities you find in the work. What expressive language would you use to describe the qualities (i.e., tragic, ugly, funny)?
- Does the work remind you of other things you have experienced (i.e., analogy or metaphor)?
- How does the work relate to other ideas or events in the world and/or in your other studies?
Judgment or Evaluation
Present your honest opinion of your end work’s success or failure:
- What qualities of the work make you feel it is a success or failure?
- Compare it with similar works that you think are good or bad.
- What would you do differently if you would do it all over again?
- How original is the work? Why do you feel your work is original or not original?